Step 5: Time to View Properties
You have found properties on the MLS you would like to see - We’ve set up your showings and we head out soon to see them!
Before we go here are a couple of important things to know:
1. Most sellers require you are pre-approved before being able to see their home.
2. Sellers usually require 24 hours notice prior to showings. They may also put other limitations on showings such as no showings after 6 pm or on Sundays, etc.
3. Wear comfortable slip-on shoes as we may be asked to remove our shoes in some homes.
4. If a lot of sunlight is important to you in a home, then try to do showings during daylight hours.
5. Dress for the weather. The walkway or driveway may be snowy, icy, muddy, etc. The house may or may not have AC or heat.
6. Vacant houses may not have any utilities turned on.
7. Don’t assume we’ll be able to use the restroom so plan accordingly.
8. Focus on the property not their furnishings, artwork, etc. as you’re buying the property, not their stuff.
9. Avoid touching furniture or personal items as we don’t want to be responsible should something break.
10. Remind children not to play with the toys and things they see in the house.
11. The home inspection comes AFTER a contract is agreed upon and signed by both the buyer and seller. During a typical showing, we should not be in the crawl spaces, attic, etc.
12. Some sellers will have Nanny Cams in their homes so be aware of what you say. Don’t talk about how much you can afford, what kind of offer you want to make on the home, etc. while in the house in case someone is listening. (and yes sellers have done this)
13. If sellers are home, be careful not to give too much away about yourself and why you’re buying as that information could hurt us later during the negotiation process.
14. Bring drinks and snacks as looking at lots of homes can be grueling!
Generally, the day before we are scheduled to look at home we will email you an address of where we are meeting and when. If you prefer I pick you up and drive you, that’s perfectly fine, just let me know at least one day in advance.
Now let’s go see some homes!